Medium format cameras are known for their high image quality and impressive detail. In this guide, we will explore the best medium format film cameras of 2023 and what makes them so special. We’ll also take a look at some of the pros and cons of using a medium format camera, as well as some tips on how to get the most out of your photography experience. Whether you’re just starting in photography or you’re a seasoned pro, there’s sure to be something for everyone in our comprehensive list of the best medium format film cameras!
Best Medium Format Film Camera 2023 Comparison Table
|Holga 120N Plastic Medium Format Film Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• Portable
• 14.4 ounces
• 7.05 x 5.71 x 3.54 inches
|Holga 120 N Camera White||Check Price||HOLGA||• 400 ISO
• 1.68 pounds
• 4 AA batteries required
|Holga 120N Medium Format Film Camera||Check Price||The Imaging World||• Aperture Settings: f/8 or f/11
• 8.31 x 6.26 x 4.72 inches
• 15.2 ounces
|Holga 120N Medium Format Film Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• Convenient
• 35mm film format • Shutter Speeds: (N)ormal - 1/100s
|HOLGA 120GCFN Plastic Medium Format Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• Built in flash
• 7 x 5 x 5 inches
• Glass lens
• Uses 2 AA batteries
|Holga 120N Medium Format Film Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• 7.2 x 4.9 x 5.3 inches
• Shutter Speeds: 1/100 sec
• 120 file formats
|LUBITEL 166 Universal USSR MEDIUM FORMAT TLR Film Camera||Check Price||MEDIUM FORMAT TLR||• 2 pounds
|Holga 120N Plastic Medium Format Film Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• Standard tripod mount
• Hot-shoe Adapter
• shutter setting 1/100 of a second
|Holga 173-120 Holgawood 120N Medium Format Camera||Check Price||HOLGA||• 1 x 1 x 1 inches
Zone focus system
• Plastic material
|MOSKVA Moscow -5 USSR Soviet Russian Medium Format Folding Film Camera||Check Price||Moskva||• 1/250 seconds min shutter speed
• Lens: Industar-24 3.5/105
• Manual exposure control
• Frame size: 6x9/6x6 cm
1) Red/White Holga medium format film camera
If you’re looking for a camera that will produce unique, one-of-a-kind images, the Holga 120N is a great choice. The Holga 120N is a medium format film camera popular for its low-fi aesthetic and plastic construction. Known for its vignetting and light leaks, the Holga produces dreamy, otherworldly images. The 120N is the most common model and can be fitted with a flash.
2) White Holga Medium Format Film Camera
The Holga is a medium format camera that uses 120 films. It’s well-known for its unique, plastic design and its ability to produce interesting images. The camera has a bulb shutter setting, which allows you to leave the shutter open for as long as you like, and two aperture settings. The Holga is also capable of producing some interesting effects, like light leaks and vignetting. The camera has a 400 ISO setting, which is perfect for general-purpose photography.
3) Black Holga 120N Medium Format Film Camera
The Black Holga 120N is a medium format film camera that produces stunning black and white photos. It features a plastic lens, zone focusing system, and shutter speeds of up to 1/200th of a second. The aperture settings range from f/8 to f/22, making it perfect for low-light photography. This camera is perfect for those who want to get into medium format photography, or for anyone who wants to experiment with different film stocks and developing techniques.
4) Black Holga ISO 400 120N Medium Format Film Camera
This Black Holga ISO 400 120N Medium Format Film Camera Case + Cloth adjustable divider strap and a lens is the perfect way to take your photography on the go! The durable case will keep your camera safe while you travel, and the adjustable divider lets you customize the fit to suit your needs. The strap makes it easy to carry, and the lens cloth protects your lenses from scratches and fingerprints. Whether you’re a beginner or a professional, this camera case is a great way to keep your equipment safe and sound. Order yours today!
5) HOLGA 120GCFN Medium Format Camera
The Holga 120GCFN is a medium format camera that features a built-in flash and glass lens. The body is made of plastic, which makes it lightweight and easy to carry. This camera is perfect for those who want to experiment with different photography techniques, as it offers a variety of features that allow you to capture interesting photos.
6) Holga 120N Medium Format Film Camera
The Holga 120N is a medium format film camera that became popular for its simple design and low cost. The camera was originally designed for the Chinese market but soon became popular with Western photographers as well. The Holga has a plastic lens and a simple zone focusing system. It also has a wide range of shutter speeds, from 1/30 to 1/250 of a second. The camera is often used for its “toy camera” effect, which gives photos a dreamlike quality.
Best Medium Format Film Camera 2023-Guide
What Is A Medium Format Film Camera?
A medium format film camera is a type of camera that uses film to capture images. The term “medium format” refers to the size of the film used, which is larger than 35mm but smaller than 4×5 inches. Medium format cameras are usually more expensive than their 35mm counterparts, and they often produce better image quality due to the larger size of the film.
Why Would I Need A Medium Format Film Camera?
If you’re a professional photographer, chances are that you’ve already considered investing in a medium format film camera. But even if you’re not a professional, there are still several compelling reasons why you might want to invest in one of these cameras. Here are just a few reasons why a medium format film camera could be a great addition to your photography arsenal:
- Medium format cameras produce stunning results: If you want to take breathtaking photos, then a medium format camera is the way to go. The larger sensors of these cameras allow for much more detail and resolution than a standard DSLR, resulting in photos that are simply stunning.
- Medium format cameras are built to last: If you’re going to invest in a camera, you want it to be something that will last you for many years to come, and when it comes to durability and longevity, medium format film cameras have the edge. These cameras are built to withstand years of use, and many of them are still going strong even after decades.
- Medium format cameras have a unique look: With their larger sensors and different aspect ratios, medium format cameras produce photos that have a very distinct and recognizable look. If you’re looking for a way to make your photos stand out from the rest, then a medium format camera could be the perfect option.
- Medium format cameras are great for portraits: If you love taking portraits, then a medium format film camera is worth considering. The larger sensors of these cameras allow for much more accurate and realistic portrayals of people, making them ideal for anyone who wants to capture stunning portraits.
- Medium format cameras are perfect for landscape photography: If you’re a fan of landscape photography, then a medium format camera is also a great option. The larger sensors of these cameras allow for much more detail and resolution, meaning you can capture stunning landscapes that look truly beautiful.
- Medium format cameras are a great investment: If you’re looking for a camera that will last you for many years to come, then a medium format film camera is a wise investment. These cameras are built to last, and they can easily hold their value over time. So, if you’re looking for a camera that’s both beautiful and practical, then a medium format film camera is the way to go.
So, there you have it, six great reasons to invest in a medium format film camera. If you’re looking for a camera that’s both beautiful and practical, then a medium format film camera is the way to go. So, what are you waiting for? Start shopping around today and see what you can find.
Types Of Medium Format Film Cameras
There are many different types of medium format film cameras available on the market today. Here is a quick overview of some of the most popular options:
Single Lens Reflex (SLR) Cameras
These cameras are the most common type of medium format camera, and they use a mirror system to reflect the image from the lens onto the viewfinder. SLR cameras typically offer the best image quality and the most features, but they can be more expensive than other types of medium format cameras.
Rangefinder cameras are similar to SLR cameras, but they do not use a mirror system. Instead, they use a rangefinder system to help you focus the camera. Rangefinder cameras are typically smaller and lighter than SLR cameras, making them a good choice for travel photography.
Compact cameras are the smallest type of medium format camera, and they often have fewer features than other types of cameras. However, compact cameras can be a good choice for casual photographers who want a camera that is easy to carry around.
Medium Format Digital Cameras
Medium format digital cameras are the newest type of medium format camera, and they offer the best image quality of all types of cameras. Medium format digital cameras use a large image sensor, which allows them to capture more detail than other types of cameras. However, these cameras can be more expensive than other types of cameras.
Medium format cameras offer many different benefits that make them a great choice for all types of photographers. Whether you are a professional photographer or a casual amateur, there is a medium format camera that will suit your needs.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Medium Format Film Camera
When it comes to buying a medium format film camera, there are a few things you need to take into account to make sure you’re getting the best possible option for your needs. Here are some of the main things to consider before making your final purchase:
Medium format sensors are significantly larger than those found in standard DSLRs, giving you the ability to capture much more detail. If you’re planning on doing a lot of landscape or architectural photography, a camera with a large sensor is essential.
Not all medium format film cameras use the same lens mount, so you’ll need to make sure that the camera you’re considering is compatible with the lenses you already have or plan to purchase.
Medium format film cameras come in a variety of different styles. It’s important to think about which style you prefer to make sure you’re getting a camera that suits your taste. Otherwise, you may end up with a camera that doesn’t match your style.
There are a variety of different medium format film camera brands available on the market. It’s important to think about which brand you prefer to make sure you’re getting a quality product. Otherwise, you may end up with a camera that doesn’t meet your expectations.
One of the first things to consider when looking for a medium format film camera is your budget. There are a variety of options available on the market, so it’s important to set a realistic price range before beginning your search. This will help you narrow down your choices and find a camera that fits both your needs and your budget.
When it comes to medium format film cameras, there are a variety of different features available. It’s important to think about which features are most important to you and make sure the camera you’re considering has them. Otherwise, you may end up with a camera that doesn’t meet all of your needs.
Keep these things in mind and you’re sure to find the best medium format film camera for your needs.
Advantages Of Medium Format Film Cameras
If you’re a professional photographer, chances are you’ve considered making the switch to medium format film cameras. There are many advantages of medium format film cameras that make them a great choice for those who want to capture high-quality images. These include:
- Increased image quality: The larger sensor size of a medium format camera results in increased image quality, with more detail and better low-light performance.
- Greater creative control: With the larger sensor size comes greater creative control, as you can make use of shallow depth of field for more creative shots.
- Improved durability: Medium format cameras are typically built to a higher standard than their 35mm counterparts, meaning they can withstand more wear and tear.
- More affordable than ever: With the rise of digital medium format cameras, the price of getting into this format has come down significantly, making it more accessible to a wider range of photographers.
- Increased lens selection: As medium format cameras have become more popular, the number of lenses available for them has also increased, giving you more choice when it comes to choosing the right glass for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I care for my medium format film camera?
Caring for your medium format film camera is important to keep it in good working condition. Here are some tips:
- Keep your camera clean: Dust and dirt can build up on the lens and other parts of the camera, making it difficult to take clear photos. Use a soft, damp cloth to gently wipe down the camera body and lens.
- Be careful when changing film: Make sure to follow the instructions for your particular camera model so that you don’t damage the film or the camera.
- Store your camera in a safe place: Keep it away from high temperatures and humidity, which can damage the camera and film. When not in use, store your camera in a padded case or box.
What are some common problems with medium format film cameras?
Some common problems with medium format film cameras include:
- Camera shake: This can be caused by holding the camera too loosely, using a shutter speed that is too low for the conditions, or subject matter that is moving too fast.
- Blurry photos: This can be caused by a dirty lens, incorrect focus, or camera shake.
- Light leaks: This occurs when light enters the camera through places where it shouldn’t, such as gaps in the body or around the lens. Light leaks can cause photos to be overexposed or have strange colours.
- Splotchy photos: This can be caused by a dirty film negative or slide, incorrect development, or scanning the film negative or slide with a low-quality scanner.
Medium format film cameras are a great option for anyone looking to get into photography or upgrade their current equipment. They offer great image quality and versatility, and there are a variety of models to choose from depending on your needs. We hope this article has helped you decide if a medium format camera is the right choice for you, and we encourage you to do your research before making a purchase. Thanks for reading!
My name is Scott Langdon and I am the creator of elegantcamera.com, a blog dedicated to all types of photography-related topics. I have been a professional photographer for over 15 years and have worked in many different settings, from travel photography to portraiture. Through my blog, I aim to provide readers with useful tips and advice on all aspects of photography. I also strive to provide a platform for discussion and the exchange of ideas within the photographic community. With my years of experience in the field, I hope to help you take better photos!